Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1992
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1989, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Matthew Collins is the chair of the firm's Employment Law Group. He has extensive experience representing clients in all aspects of labor and employment law. Matthew counsels clients on a wide range of labor and employment issues such as discrimination, harassment, whistleblowing, discipline and discharge, layoffs, collective bargaining agreements, reasonable accommodations for disabled employees and compliance with state and federal family and medical leave acts and applicable wage and hour laws. He also conducts training in these areas for executives, directors, managers, supervisors and employees and conducts internal investigations of employee complaints. Matthew drafts and provides advice on employment contracts, employment manuals, personnel policies and procedures, restrictive covenants and severance agreements.
Matthew represents clients in state and federal court, in arbitrations and before various administrative agencies including the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the United States Department of Labor and the New Jersey Department of Labor. In addition to litigating all types of employment related claims, he represents clients in lawsuits arising from business torts, shareholder disputes, contract disputes and restrictive covenant violations.
Matthew has been named by New Jersey Super Lawyers for 2017.
- Speaker, "Handling Harassment, Bullying and Hostile Work Environments," NJBIA, March 14, 2014
- Speaker, "The Duty to Preserve and Spoliation: Current New Jersey Law," Morris County Chapter of Society for Human Resource Management, November 14, 2012
- Speaker, "The Pitfalls of Worker Misclassification," Essex County Chapter of the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, October 19, 2012
- Speaker, "Legal Hot Topics in Dentistry," 2012 Garden State Dental Conference & Expo, June 23, 2012
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in HR-Your Employees Know the Law, Do You?" Home Care Association of New Jersey Annual Conference, June 14, 2012
- Speaker, "Employment Law Basics: What Every Employer Needs to Know," Home Care Association of New Jersey (February 22, 2012)
- Speaker, "Legal Basics and Personal Policies-To Keep You in Compliance and Out of Court," Home Care Association of New Jersey (June 10, 2011)
- Speaker, "Physician Office Etiquette - What You Can and Cannot Say: Billing, Employment and Privacy Pitfalls," New Jersey Orthopaedic Society (November 13, 2010)
- Speaker, "Paid Family Leave Is Here, Are You Ready?," 2009 New Jersey MGMA Practice Management Conference (March 19, 2009)
- Speaker, "Everything You Need To Know About Harassment In The Workplace," Saint Barnabas Metrowest IPA and the Saint Barnabas Office Mangers Association (April 24, 2009)
- Speaker, "What Every Practice Must Know About New Jersey Family Leave," 2009 Atlantic Regional Osteopathic Convention (April 4, 2009)
- Speaker, "Avoiding Common Pitfalls: Managing Employment Practice Liability," 2008 New Jersey Academy of Ohthalmology Annual Meeting (September 26, 2008)
- "Test Your HR IQ," Outpatient Surgery Magazine (October 2013)
- Labor & Employment Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Member