Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- University of Wisconsin, B.A., with honors, 1967
- S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook, M.A., 1970
Joseph Gorrell counsels hospitals, medical staffs, nursing homes, and individual practitioners on a broad scope of issues ranging from practice bylaws to regulatory corrective actions to medical bioethics. He has successfully represented numerous physicians before the Board of Medical Examiners, defending claims, avoiding disciplinary actions and achieving favorable settlements. He provides legal advice to hospital medical staffs on a variety of subjects. He also supervises individual physicians and physician practice groups that are contracting with hospitals, managed care companies, and other physicians. Joseph provides regular counseling to physicians who are establishing their own medical practices or becoming members of others.
- New Jersey Association of Nurse Anesthetists Inc. v. New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners, 183 N.J. 605 (2005)
- St. Peter's University Medical Center v. Lacy, 185 N.J. 1 (2005)
- Herbert v. Newton Memorial Hospital, 933 F. Supp. 1222 (D.N.J. 1996)
- Brown v. Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, 767 F. Supp. 618 (D.N.J. 1991)
- Medford Convalescent and Nursing Center v. Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services, 218 N.J. Super. 1. (App. Div. 1985)
- "Opioid Epidemic Spawns Greater Scrutiny of Physicians as Prescribers and Employers," Becker's Hospital Review, January 17, 2018
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Joseph is a former Deputy Attorney General for New Jersey and has experience providing counsel to the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners, the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and the Division on Civil Rights. He has served as president of Grotta Center for Senior Care, president of the New Jersey Organ and Tissue Sharing Network, and on the board of Jewish Family Services of Somerset County and the Mental Health Association of Somerset County, of which he is a former vice president.
He frequently lectures before state and county medical societies, other health care organizations and the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Recently, he presented a seminar to the Central Dental Society covering insurance fraud investigations and proposed amendments to the Board of Dental Examiners' regulations.
Joseph has been peer review rated as AV Preeminent, the highest rating for professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been selected by his peers to the Best Lawyers in America list since 1993 and the New Jersey Super Lawyers list since its inception in 2005. Joseph was listed again in 2016 in Chambers US. Chambers notes Joseph Gorrell is a preeminent figure in the healthcare industry who acts for a range of clients including individual practitioners, hospitals, and nursing homes, on an array of regulatory matters. Peers highlight him as a "superb lawyer," who is particularly adept at representing physicians in front of the board of medical examiners. He has been noted in 2011 by Chambers USA for his "skillful and high-profile representation of physicians" and his "deep experience and expertise in transactional and litigation work within the healthcare arena." He was named a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell. Joseph was named Best Lawyers' 2014 Newark Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year." Additionally, he was recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM for 2015.