When there is a complex real estate deal to be done, whether it is a purchase or sale, tax appeal, or other legal matter, prominent real estate developers and investors call on Alan Hammer.
For over 40 years, Alan has concentrated his practice in the areas of investment real estate transactions and tax appeals, representing the purchasers and sellers of office buildings, shopping centers, industrial facilities, apartment complexes, and vacant land. Alan is also personally active in the acquisition, ownership, management, and operation of investment properties, primarily multifamily complexes, throughout New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. He brings this vast knowledge and experience—as well as his unique perspective—to every transaction.
Known for his integrity and practical approach, Alan is also highly successful in real estate tax appeals. He has been involved in obtaining landmark rulings, including the Supreme Court's Glen Wall Associates decision, one of the most important and widely cited decisions on the valuation of investment properties.
Alan and the real estate team at Brach Eichler have particular expertise in multifamily housing. Their clients include some of the largest, most well-respected owners of multifamily properties in the region.
The ranking company Chambers USA notes that sources "have a great deal of respect for" Alan Hammer. "He is excellent - he has a great depth of knowledge and concentrates on making transactions work from a business perspective."
According to Chambers, Alan is considered by peers and clients to be "one of the finest real estate attorneys in the state of New Jersey...a skilled and seasoned lawyer who is a deal-maker first and foremost—he always focuses on his clients' best interests and not on scoring points."
Alan is also a member of Brach Eichler’s Executive Committee.
- Mare Mega Care, Inc. v. Union Tp., 15 N.J. Tax 566 (1996)
- Rutherford Realty Associates v. Borough of Rutherford, 277 N.J. Super. 347 (App. Div. 1994)
- William S. Throckmorton v. Township of Egg Harbor, 267 N.J. Super. 14 (App. Div. 1993)
- Intercare Health Systems, Inc. v. Cedar Grove Tp., 11 N.J. Tax 423 (1990) aff'd, 12 N.J. Tax 273 (App. Div. 1991), certif. den., 127 N.J. 558 (1992)
- Crescent Park Tenants Association, Inc. v. Crescent Park Associates,106 N.J. 624 (1987)
- Crescent Park Tenants Association, Inc. v. Crescent Park Associates,208 N.J. 27 (App. Div. 1986)
- Schneider v. East Orange, 196 N.J. Super, 587 (App. Div. 1984); aff'd o.b., 103 N.J. 115 certif. den., 479 U.S. 824 (1986)
- South Hamilton Associates v. Morristown, 99 N.J. 437 (1985)
- Glen Wall Associates v. Township of Wall, 99 N.J. 265 (1985)
- "The Truth About Tax Reform," Real Estate NJ (quoted in), February 17, 2018
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
- Peer-review rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell for 25 years
- Recognized by his peers in Best Lawyers for 12 years
- Recognized by his peers in New Jersey Super Lawyers for 12 years
- Leader in the Field Ranked in Band 1 in Chambers USA 2012-2018 for New Jersey Real Estate
- Recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM for 2015
- Named by Best Lawyers as the 2014 Newark Litigation – Real Estate Lawyer of the Year
- Significant contributor to Jewish organizations, notably The Jewish Community Foundation of Greater MetroWest NJ