Since 1971, Alan Hammer has concentrated his practice in the areas of investment real estate transactions and tax appeals, representing the purchasers and sellers of office buildings, shopping centers, industrial facilities, apartment complexes and vacant land. Highly successful in real estate tax appeals, he has been involved in obtaining landmark rulings, including the Supreme Court's Glen Wall Associates decision, one of the most important and widely cited decisions on the valuation of investment properties. Alan is personally active in the acquisition, ownership, management and operation of investment properties, primarily apartment complexes, throughout New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and New York State.
Most notable among Alan Hammer's published opinions are:
- Mare Mega Care, Inc. v. Union Tp., 15 N.J. Tax 566 (1996)
- Rutherford Realty Associates v. Borough of Rutherford, 277 N.J. Super. 347 (App. Div. 1994)
- William S. Throckmorton v. Township of Egg Harbor, 267 N.J. Super. 14 (App. Div. 1993)
- Intercare Health Systems, Inc. v. Cedar Grove Tp., 11 N.J. Tax 423 (1990), aff'd, 12 N.J. Tax 273 (App. Div. 1991), certif. den., 127 N.J. 558 (1992)
- Crescent Park Tenants Association, Inc. v. Crescent Park Associates, 106 N.J. 624 (1987)
- Crescent Park Tenants Association, Inc. v. Crescent Park Associates, 208 N.J. 27 (App. Div. 1986)
- Schneider v. East Orange, 196 N.J. Super, 587 (App. Div. 1984); aff'd o.b., 103 N.J. 115 certif. den., 479 U.S. 824 (1986)
- South Hamilton Associates v. Morristown, 99 N.J. 437 (1985)
- Glen Wall Associates v. Township of Wall, 99 N.J. 265 (1985)
- "The Truth About Tax Reform," Real Estate NJ (quoted in), February 17, 2018
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Alan is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He was previously on the Board of Directors for GrowLife. He has been peer review rated as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell for 25 years, the highest rating for professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been recognized by his peers on the Best Lawyers in America list and the New Jersey Super Lawyers list for the last 12 years. Alan was listed again in 2016 in Chambers USA. Chambers notes sources "have a great deal of respect for" Alan Hammer because he is a "consummate business attorney who is a pleasure to work with." He draws on an impressive depth of experience in investment real estate deals and tax appeals, with notable expertise in multifamily property work. In 2014 he was named by Best Lawyers as the 2014 Newark Litigation - Real Estate "Lawyer of the Year." He is also a Tier 1 Attorney in Chambers USA and the Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business said Alan is considered by peers and clients to be "one of the finest real estate attorneys in the state of New Jersey." He is "a skilled and seasoned lawyer who is a deal-maker first and foremost -- he always focuses on his clients' best interests and not on scoring points." In addition, Alan was recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM for 2015.