Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- American University Washington School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1988
- Emory University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1984
Richard Robins represents hospitals, physicians, dentists and other health care practitioners and civil litigants in state and federal trial and appellate courts, licensure and arbitration proceedings, and transactional matters. Richard also represents clients in criminal matters, including health care and kickback investigations, prosecutions, and parole disputes. He has successfully litigated actions in the New Jersey Supreme Court and other jurisdictions including complex breach of contract, employment discrimination, restrictive covenant, denial of medical staff privileges, retaliatory discharge, and contested guardianship cases. Richard also represents clients in complex business and medical and dental practice formation matters including new member buy-ins, employment agreements, terminations, contract negotiations and disputes, and in disciplinary proceedings before licensing and regulatory boards.
SUCCESSFUL DEFENSE OF PHYSICIAN AGAINST GOVERNMENT CHARGES IN 2011
Richard successfully represented a cardiologist against charges by the U.S. Attorney's Office that the physician had violated the federal Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Act. The three-day jury trial was held in federal district court, Newark, from March 22-24, 2011. The jury unanimously found in the physician's favor on all claims. Richard was quoted extensively on the case in an article in the Star-Ledger published on March 26, 2011, entitled, "Orange cardiologist is cleared of wrongdoing in UMDNJ illegal kickback scheme." He was also quoted extensively in the Report on Medicare Compliance, April 11, 2011.
- U.S. ex rel. Tahlor v. AHS Hospital Corp., 2013 WL 5913627 (D.N.J. 2013)
- United States v. Campbell, 2011 WL 43013 (D.N.J. 2011)
- In re Adoption of N.J.A.C. 11:3-29 by the State of New Jersey, Department of Banking and Insurance, 410 N.J. Super. 6 (App. Div. 2009), 200 N.J. 506 (2009)
- U.S. ex rel. Hefner v. Hackensack University Medical Center, 495 F.3d 103 (3rd Cir. 2007)
- Saint Peter's University Hospital v. Lacy, 185 N.J. 1 (2005)
- New Jersey State Ass'n of Nurse Anesthetists v. New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners, 183 N.J. 605 (2005), affirming 372 N.J. Super. 554 (App. Div. 2004)
- Herbert v. Newton Memorial Hospital, 933 F. Supp. 1222 (D.N.J. 1996)
- Hunterdon County PBA Local 188 v. Township of Franklin, 286 N.J. Super. 389 (App. Div. 1996)
- Smith v. Township of Andover, 283 N.J. Super. 452 (App. Div. 1995), 143 N.J. 320 (1995)
- Rosa v. Resolution Trust Corp., 752 F. Supp. 1231 (D.N.J. 1990), 938 F. 2d 383 (3rd Cir. 1991), 112 S. Ct. 582 (1991)
- Levin v. Robinson, Wayne & La Sala, 246 N.J. Super. 167 (Law Div. 1990)
- On October 23, 2014, Richard lectured on HIPAA compliance issues to a chapter of the Seattle Study Club for continued dental education. In 2012, Richard lectured on "Current Legal Aspects of Practicing Dentistry from Employment Law to Sexual Harassment" to the Newark Dental Club. He also lectured at the Atlantic Regional Osteopathic Convention of the New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons on April 8, 2011: "Hot Off the Presses: Anatomy of a Federal Investigation and Trial for Alleged Stark and Anti-Kickback Violations -- Lessons Learned." He authored "Anatomy of a Federal Investigation and Trial for Alleged Stark and Anti-Kickback Violations," for New Jersey Physician in November 2011, and was co-author of "Physician Restrictive Covenants: An Overview and Primer," published in Cosmetic Dermatology, 2001. He has lectured to numerous dental organizations and schools.
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Richard is a former Trustee of Oheb Shalom Congregation in South Orange. He has won numerous county, municipal and club tennis tournaments, and is a former New Jersey State table tennis tournament event champion.
Richard is the long-time chair of the annual Essex County Bar Foundation Tennis Outing. He is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Health and Hospital Law Section.