Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Pennsylvania
- Pace University School of Law, J.D., Environmental Law Certificate, 1991
- University of Vermont, B.A., 1984
Frances Stella is Chair of Brach Eichler's Environmental & Land Use Practice Group and has 25 years of experience in Federal and State environmental litigation, site remediation and environmental regulatory compliance and permitting counseling in real estate redevelopment and transactions. Her environmental practice includes handling CERCLA and New Jersey Spill Act claims and compliance issues, natural resource damage claims, cost recovery/contribution litigation and mediation, environmental insurance coverage litigation, environmental enforcement defense, permitting, defense of toxic torts, asbestos and vapor intrusion claims, and government compliance environmental investigations and audits. She handles site remediation negotiations with both State and Federal environmental agencies and contracts with and supervises environmental consulting firms to develop and implement remedial activities in her role as Common Counsel for PRP groups at Superfund sites and for redevelopers.
- Handled negotiation involving an incentive project to install a P4P Combine Heat and Power energy service for a university in New Jersey.
- Assessed environmental conditions and counseled national company that purchased subdivided contaminated site for the purpose of leasing solar energy assets on contaminated property.
- Common counsel for PRP Group at the Caldwell Trucking Superfund Site in Fairfield, New Jersey.
- Common counsel for PRP Group at the Barceloneta Landfill Superfund Site in Barceloneta, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel for property owner of a New York City School in defending vapor intrusion toxic tort suits by students and teachers, and coordinating remediation of school with NYSDEC and NYSDOH with long-term vapor intrusion mitigation systems.
- Counsel for large oil company and petroleum marketing companies on various facets of environmental compliance related to gas stations' operations and remediations in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Counsel for large oil company and petroleum marketing companies on USEPA UST compliance enforcement actions in New York and New Jersey.
- Counsel for Elmira, New York foundry on Federal and State civil and criminal enforcement actions, obtained all necessary operating permits including Title V and RCRA permits.
- Counsel for metal racking manufacturer on air violations and modification of Title V permit.
- Counsel for property owner and property manager of buildings surrounding Ground Zero in defense of building service personnel injury claims arising from alleged contamination resulting from the World Trade Center Terrorist attacks.
- Counsel for environmental consultants to EPA in an EPA-led clean-up of a New Jersey Superfund site in defense of property owner's claims for property value diminution and contamination stigma damages attributable to errors and omissions by the consultant in its conduct of the federal cleanup.
- Counsel to purchaser of a Newark, NJ hospital with respect to its assumption of an ongoing environmental remediation at the purchased hospital property.
- Handled negotiations to resolve Title V Air Permitting enforcement action against oil company.
- Defended former tenant, which historically conducted manufacturing operations at landlord's property, to defeat former landlord's efforts to secure NJDEP re-opener of a No Further Action determination in order to assert New Jersey Spill Act claims.
- "Environmental Lender Liability: Identifying Risks and Opportunities," The Knowledge Group Webinar (September 26, 2017)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Environment Assessments are Necessary in Real Estate Transaction" (March 4, 2013)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "New Licensed Site Remediation Professional Program Raises Practical Issues" (December 13, 2010)
- International Legal News, "Regulatory Uncertainty in Climate Change Initiatives" (August 15, 2008)
- New Jersey Lawyer, "Vapor Intrusion: Investigations and Mitigation Issues" (June 11, 2007)
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, "New York's Comprehensive Legislation Reforms For Contaminated Sites-Part lI" (May 1, 2004)
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, "New York's Brownfields Legislation For Contamination Sites" (April 1, 2004)
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Frances was named in 2009 as a Women of Influence in Real Estate by Real Estate New Jersey. She was also profiled as an Executive Woman in Business by the Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal in 2010.
She is a Master of the Justice Stewart Pollock Environmental American Inns of Court.