PIP Update for ICD-10December 10, 2015
On October 1, 2015, the ICD-10 conversions began for medical providers, but it only applies to PIP in limited circumstances.
In summary providers should know:
• The ICD-10 conversion only applies to providers subject to Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA).
• Generally, PIP medical expense benefits are not subject to HIPAA.
• For the purposes of PIP medical expense reimbursement ICD-9 is still accepted unless the patient has elected for health insurance primary under his/her automobile policy.
• If the patient is health insurance primary, ICD-10 codes will need to first be billed to the employee health coverage, Medicaid or Medicare.
• Auto insurers accept either ICD-9 or ICD-10 billing
• DOBI will not be changing the Attending Provider Treatment Plan (APTP) to include ICD-10.
The DOBI post concerning ICD-10 is located at:
Contact Keith J. Roberts, Esq for additional information.