Copyright Agent Services General Overview
If you own and maintain your own website, a change in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) effective 12/31/17 could leave you vulnerable to substantial penalties.
The DMCA was enacted to provide Internet site owners with immunity from statutory damages for copyright infringement. Unauthorized Internet site content, including photo use, is subject to copyright infringement statutory damages of $750 up to $300,000, despite lack of intent by the Internet site owner.
A change in the law now requires all entities seeking infringement protection to register with the copyright office and designate an agent to receive copyright complaints by December 31, 2017. Currently, each Internet site owner is responsible for maintaining DMCA compliance. The new law, however, now allows Internet site owners to designate an attorney to be their DMCA agent.
As of 12/31/17, Brach Eichler will offer this service at a cost of $100 every two years. As part of our role as your “Copyright Agent,” we will:
- Provide the necessary DMCA registration form and Internet site DMCA notice,
- Perform periodic Internet site DMCA compliance reviews,
- Conduct a mandated periodic certification of DMCA compliance,
- Provide a DMCA renewal monitoring service,
- Perform a no-cost audit of your website to ensure proper copyright language and contacts on the site,
- Handle any copyright infringement complaints if and when these arise, and
- Issue takedown notices in the event of someone infringing on the site.
Please call Kent Anderson at 973.403.3124 for additional information about how we can help you protect your website, register with the Copyright Office, and comply with the new law.