Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Scranton, B.S.
Charles X. Gormally, Member
Co-Chair, Cannabis Industry
Charles Gormally offers a proficiency in counseling clients with complex business matters, challenges to governmental regulation, contract disputes, and tort actions. Designated a Certified Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, a distinction reserved for less than 2% of attorneys, Charles has successfully tried jury and bench trial cases in the Federal and state courts, as well as arbitration matters. Charles is a State of New Jersey certified mediator and formerly an elected official in Mountain Lakes.
As the senior trial counsel for the Firm, Charles regularly engages in trials in both New Jersey and New York on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. His most recent trial results included a verdict on behalf of a seriously injured worker leading to a recovery of $6 million and a verdict of $2.9 million in a business dispute on behalf of an insurance broker.
A strong advocate for the expansion of medical cannabis programs and the creation of a regulated cannabis marketplace in New Jersey, Charles has been widely quoted in the press on the challenges and opportunities for potential industry participants and the current legislative landscape.
In public sector matters, Charles has a demonstrated record of success in prosecuting constitutional challenges to legislation and governmental overreach on behalf of affected clients. For example, he compelled municipalities to alter their practices in connection with the collection of solid waste and recyclable materials. This action resulted in millions of dollars of cost savings to the clients and ultimately led to the adoption of state legislation to provide comparable municipal services to all multifamily properties. In addition, Charles has prevailed in actions overturning the exercise of overreaching municipal police power in matters including the improper regulation of video arcades, illegal public initiatives to modify rent control ordinances, and attempts to overcharge for housing inspections.
General Counsel to the Firm, Charles has been peer review rated as AV Preeminent, the highest rating for professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been consistently selected over the years by his peers to The Best Lawyers in America© and to New Jersey Super Lawyers. In addition, he was recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM. Charles is also an instructor with the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. Charles served for many years as a member of Brach Eichler’s Executive Committee.
- Alpizar-Fallas v. Favero, 908 F.3d 910 (3d Cir. 2018)
- Selective Insurance v. Hudson East, 416 NJ Super 418 (A.D. 2010) Affirmed 210 NJ 597(2012)
- Amy Ryan v. Gina DeNardo 420 NJ Super 215 (A.D. 2011)
- Hodges v. Sasil Corporation, 189 N.J. 210 (2007)
- Endo Surgicenter v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., 391 N.J. Super. 588; (App. Div. 2007)
- Salem Management v. Township of Lopatcong, 387 N.J. Super. 573 (App. Div. 2006)
- Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co. v. Kurnos, 340 N.J. Super. 25 (App. Div., 2001)
- Medford v. Duggan, 323 N.J. Super. 127 (App. Div. 1999)
- United States v Ernstoff, 183 F.R.D. 148 (D.C. N.J. 1998)
- Besicorp Group v. Enowitz, 235 A.D.2d 761 (N.Y. App. Div. , 1997)
- Ohio Cas. Group of Ins. Cos. v. Professional Ins. Mgmt., 130 F.3d 1122 (3rd Cir. 1997)
- New Jersey Apt. Ass’n v. Director, Div. of Local Gov’t Servs., 304 N.J. Super. 445 (App. Div. 1997)
- WHS Realty Co. v. Town of Morristown, 146 N.J. 627 (1996)
- Pazienza v. St. Barnabas Medical Ctr., 921 F. Supp. 1274 (U.S. Dist., 1995)
- Doherty v. Teamsters Pension Trust Fund, 16 F.3d 1386 (3rd Cir. 1994)
- Lombardo v. Hoag, 269 N.J. Super. 36 (App. Div. 1993) cert. denied 135 N.J. 469 (1994)
- Property Owners & Managers Ass’n v. Parsippany-Troy Hills, 264 N.J. Super. 538 (App. Div. 1993)
- 399 Lincoln Assoc. v. Orange Township, 244 N.J. Super. 238 (App. Div. 1990)
Additional recent private sector successes include:
- Successful resolution of a class action claim in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Middlesex County, against a high-profile multifamily property owner brought by current and former tenants alleging consumer fraud, breach of contract, and entitlement to punitive damages
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a statewide group of specialty physicians resulting in a successful defense of a claim for recovery of $20 million asserted against them by a large managed care company
- Represented statewide association of multifamily property owners before the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Successfully defended a claim asserted by the United States that a large apartment owner had engaged in a pattern and practice of violating the Fair Housing Act. A trial in the federal district court resulted in a complete vindication of the client’s position
- Favorable jury verdict on behalf of a large distributor charged with unfair competition, breach of contract, and RICO violations asserted by a competitive firm
- Multi-million-dollar settlement of a disputed stock option and disability claim asserted by a chief financial officer of a publicly traded company
- Successful defense of claims for injunctive relief on behalf of a physician/shareholder arising from violation of a post-employment restrictive covenant in a large urban medical practice
- Successful prosecution of claim for injunctive relief against a terminated employee of a temporary accounting services firm from engaging in similar business within a protected area
- Complete vindication of a regional hospital system in a claim asserting misappropriation of trade secret and confidential information asserted in federal district court action
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Six Brach Eichler Attorneys Included in “Ones to Watch” – Two New to the List!
October 27, 2020 @ 1:00 p.m.
New Jersey Law Journal, (quoted in)
Gormally Shares Insights on Recreational Marijuana, Northjersey.com, (quoted in)
Gormally Shares Insights on Cannabis Legislation Webcast, The Knowledge Group
Brach Eichler Cannabis Law White Paper
ROI-NJ, (quoted in)
Fanburg and Gormally in Forbes Magazine
Brach Eichler Cannabis Law White Paper
NJBIZ (quoted in)
Fanburg and Gormally in NJBIZ on Legal Cannabis in NJ