Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Wake Forest University, B.A.
John J. Coats, Associate
John Coats’ practice is focused on real estate tax appeals. John represents New Jersey property owners in the appeal of their taxes on a wide variety of properties. Included among these are apartments, office buildings, retail establishments, warehouses, and single-family residences. As such, John is involved in numerous appearances before the Tax Court of New Jersey and various County Tax Boards. John also represents property owners in Pennsylvania in the same capacity. Additionally, John’s advises clients on mansion tax refund claims, exemptions and PILOT programs, farmland assessments, defense of affirmative tax appeals, and valuation.
Previously, John handled real estate tax appeals for another New Jersey firm and also served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Peter F. Bariso, Jr., P.J.S.C., Presiding Judge, Civil Division, Hudson County.
- Metz Family LP v. Township of Freehold, 30 N.J. Tax 513 (Tax 2018)
- 440 Rt. 17 Ptrns LLC v. Borough of Hasbrouck Heights, 28 N.J. Tax 241 (Tax 2014)
- Robmar Realty Assoc. v. Township of Rockaway, 2013 WL 5513859 (N.J. Tax October 1, 2013)
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
RealEstate New Jersey