Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., Comments Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Boston University, B.S.
Thomas J. Spies, Counsel
Tom Spies’ practice focuses on a wide range of corporate and complex commercial litigation and includes matters ranging from shareholder and partnership disputes to fraud cases involving hundreds of millions of dollars. He also handles distributorship and antitrust matters that involve price fixing, monopolization, termination, and the New Jersey Franchise Practice Act.
Additionally, Tom handles almost every aspect of employment litigation. He also has extensive experience counseling clients on avoiding a variety of administrative agency infractions as well as litigating such issues.
Known for his tenacity and meticulous preparation, Tom’s approach to litigation matters includes consistently “landing the first punch” and an unwavering focus on obtaining the most positive outcome for his clients.
A significant part of his corporate and commercial practice includes advising clients on strategies and issues that arise from shareholder and partner disputes. Tom is sensitive to and understands the psychology that often governs relationships between close family members and business associates. His understanding of these dynamics is an asset in resolving these kinds of matters.
As a plaintiff’s lawyer, Tom has litigated a number of legal malpractice cases, many resulting in multi-million-dollar settlements. He has also worked on cases involving complex commercial fraud, including a significant Ponzi scheme and a civil bribery case involving hundreds of millions of dollars in exposure.
Prior to joining Brach Eichler, Tom was managing partner at Walder Hayden and was also a partner with McCusker, Anselmi, Rosen & Carvelli, P.C.
Tom is a former chair of the New Jersey Supreme Court’s District V-C Fee Arbitration Committee. He has also served as a lecturer for the Essex County Bar Association’s Equity Jurisprudence Committee and the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education on trade secrets and restrictive covenant litigation. Since 1996, Tom has been a contract arbitrator for the Essex County Superior Court.
Tom has an AV Preeminent rating of 5 out of 5 for professional excellence, based on recognition by his peers and as published in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here for the Awards and Honors Methodology.
- Baudouin v. New Jersey Turnpike Authority, NJ: Appellate Div. 2017
- Princeton Healthcare v. Netsmart, 29 A. 3d 361 – NJ: Appellate Div. 2011
- Continental Ins. Co. v. Honeywell International, Inc., 967 A. 2d 315 – NJ: Appellate Div. 2009
- Kerr v. Able Sanitary and Environmental Services, Inc., 684 A. 2d 961 – NJ: Appellate Div. 1996
- State v. Kobrin Securities, Inc., 544 A. 2d 833 – NJ: Supreme Court 1988
- State v. Kobrin Securities, Inc., 534 A. 2d 55 – NJ: Appellate Div. 1987
- MacDonald v. Time, Inc., 554 F. Supp. 1053 – Dist. Court, D. New Jersey 1983
- Member, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Member, Essex County Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Equity Jurisprudence Committee