Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- Patent Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University, School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Georgetown University, LL.M. in Taxation, J.D., 1990
- Lehigh University, B.S. in Chemical Engineering, 1975
- Cornell University, M.B.A., 1978
Patent Attorney Reg. No. 70063
Jonathan handles the prosecution and litigation of complex Intellectual Property matters. For more than three decades he has been routinely called upon to represent clients in complex patent litigation matters. Jonathan's expertise in the areas of chemical engineering, internet law and e-commerce provides business, legal and technological solutions across industries. For more than twenty years, Jonathan represented IBM as Corporate Litigation Counsel in over thirty states.
In private sector matters, Jonathan's recent successes include:
- Advising technology and new media clients in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America in connection with e-commerce and multimedia electronic transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
- Prosecuted, licensed and litigated Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights
- Counseling clients on various cutting-edge liability issues facing those doing business on the Internet, including electronic commerce, copyright infringement, domain name trademark disputes, defamation and privacy issues.
- Representing various e-commerce firms in white collar criminal defense nationwide.
- Representing numerous companies in connection with trademark and unfair competition issues, including selection and registration of marks, prosecution and defense of opposition proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and trademark and trade dress infringement actions in the federal courts, as well as infringement litigation.
- Advising both company and agency clients in the area of advertising, marketing and promotion law, including sweepstakes and other sales promotions.
- Reviewing Application of the American with Disabilities Act to the Internet
- Internet Intellectual Property - Novel Issues and Solutions, Worrall F. Mountain Inn of Court (May 19, 2014)
- "Using Communication Decency Act and Promissory Estoppel to Combat Internet Defamation," New Jersey Law Journal (April 7, 2016)
- "Man in the Middle Attacks: Understanding and combating this form of wire fraud," New Jersey Law Journal (January 11, 2016)
- "Internet Transactions Unlikely Public Finance Source," New Jersey Law Journal (September 2, 2015)
- "Courts Allow Broader Search Warrants for Internet Crimes," New Jersey Law Journal (August 10, 2015)
- "Cloud Content is Copyright Protected; But Its Providers Are Not," New Jersey Law Journal (July 27, 2015)
- "Big Data Rights Protection Found in Internet Copyright Law," New Jersey Law Journal (April 20, 2015)
- "Combating Gripe Site Difficulties," New Jersey Law Journal (March 2, 2015)
- "Internet Changes Medication Sales Regulations," Law Journal Newsletters (February 2015)
- "Litigating Workplace Injuries in a Virtual Office," New Jersey Law Journal (October 28, 2014)
- "E-legal Practice Scrutinized," New Jersey Law Journal (April 7, 2014)
- Treatment of Internet Licenses in Bankruptcy, New Jersey Law Journal (February 10, 2014)
- "International Internet Law Suffers Growing Pains", New Jersey Law Journal (January 6, 2014)
- "How Internet Use Can Ameliorate Mass-Tort Litigation Difficulties", New Jersey Law Journal (December 16, 2013)
- "Some States Criminalize Internet Identity Theft", New Jersey Law Journal (November 18, 2013)
- "Selling Municipal Securities via the Internet" New Jersey Law Journal (November 11, 2013)
- "Old vs. New: Bloggers Want Same Rights as Mass Media - Why web logs are not automatically protected by traditional media law," New Jersey Law Journal (August 22, 2013)
- "Identifying Unnamed Online Speakers Just Got Easier," New Jersey Law Journal (May 13, 2013)
- "Judicial Notice and the Internet," Washburn Law Journal (Spring 2013)
- "Medical Malpractice Litigation", New Jersey Law Journal, (May 6, 2013)
- "Existing Law Promotes Internet Advertising", New Jersey Law Journal, (April 1, 2013)
- Integrating Trans-Atlantic Medical Law", New Jersey Law Journal, (February 4, 2013)
- "Failure to Consult Internet May Result in Legal Malpractice", New Jersey Law Journal, (January 21, 2013)
- ( Mr. Bick's academic site ) for the full text of these and more than 100 additional publications., See http://bicklaw.com
- New Jersey Law Journal, "The Maturing Nature of e-Intellectual Property Legal Services" (November 12, 2012)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Anonymous Versus Fraudulent Internet Speech" (September 17, 2012)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Applying Technology to the Business of Health Care" (April 30, 2012)
- "Technology Increases Internet Facilitator’s Liability" New Jersey Law Journal, February 27, 2012 (July 20 2009)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Law Office & Trust Account Management: How the Internet Benefits and Impairs Law Firms" (February 6, 2012)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Internet Service Providers' Access to E-mail Content: Not an Invasion of Privacy" (November 14, 2011)
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Protecting Bloggers From Liability," (September 26, 2011)
- Georgetown Journal of International Law 2011 Symposium on International Cyberlaw (March 21, 2011)
- "Digital Estates," ICLE (September 13, 2010)
- "63rd Semi-Annual Tax & Estate Planning Forum," New Jersey Law Center (June 9, 2010)
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Jonathan is a chartered Financial Analyst. He splits his professional life between academia and the practice of law. Previously a shareholder at Greenberg Traurig and an IBM attorney, Adjunct Professor Bick now regularly teaches while helping clients resolve legal difficulties.
- Board Member of New Jersey Audubon Society, 2009-2013
- Board of Trustees B'nai Jeshurun, Short Hills, 1998-2007
- Membership Committee Mountain Ridge Country Club, West Caldwell, NJ, 2002-2006
- Scout Master/ Assistant Scout Master Troop 15, Christ Church, Short Hills, NJ, 1998-2006
- American Jewish Committee Board member, 2006-present
- President of Residents of Windmill, Inc., 1994-1997
Jonathan addressed the 17th National Conference of Wound Care in Paris, January 2013, on "International Legal Issues in Telemedicine."
Assemblyman, Lou Greenwald, New Jersey Assembly Majority Leader, asked Jonathan to testify before both the NJ Senate and NJ Assembly regarding the preparation of new statutes which address Internet laws and the Internet assets of deceased persons.
Jonathan Bick has served as a Professor of Internet Law at Pace Law School and Rutgers University Law School (1998-present). He also serves as a Professor for Business Law and Electronic Commerce, Rutgers University & University of Maryland joint Electronic Commerce Masters program (2000-present), as a Professor for the Pace Law Center for Continuing Legal Education (1998-present), and as an Internet Law Visiting Lecturer at Cornell University - Ithaca, NY (2000-present).
He is the author of 101 Things You Need To Know About Internet Law (Random House 2000). He has published more than 200 articles regarding Internet law during the past six years and is on the editorial board of The Internet Law & Strategy. He speaks regularly on Internet and computer law-related issues.