Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New England School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Washington University, B.A.
John D. Fanburg, Managing Member
Chair, Health Law
Co-Chair, Cannabis Law
John D. Fanburg has more than 30 years of experience in health and hospital law, with an emphasis on corporate, transactional, and regulatory matters for physicians and health care institutions. A recognized leader in health law, John is known for excellence in transactions, perseverance in deal-making, and strength in corporate, M&A, and regulatory matters.
His broad experience representing major hospitals, diverse medical groups, and statewide physician specialty organizations provides him with in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the business of health care. He helps health care providers position themselves to deal with the constantly evolving medical marketplace, particularly health care reform. This includes advising clients about mergers and acquisitions, various business ventures, and creative health care business arrangements. John provides counsel on strategic alliances and transactions relating to physician practices, hospitals, ACOs, and medical homes. He also offers guidance on regulatory compliance, corporate compliance, HIPAA, litigation, and government investigations.
In addition, as Co-Chair of Brach Eichler’s Cannabis Law Practice, John provides counsel to companies and individuals who seek to participate in New Jersey’s growing medicinal, and soon-to-be-recreational, cannabis industry.
His experience includes:
- Establishing outpatient health care offices, diagnostic imaging facilities, urgent care centers, and ambulatory surgical centers.
- Overseeing the establishment and purchase/sale of physician practices, hospitals, and nursing homes.
- Structuring nonprofit health care providers.
- Representing clients in managed care contract negotiations.
- Developing Medicare and Medicaid corporate compliance programs for physician practitioners.
- Developing managed care networks.
- Handling fraud and abuse counseling and representation, licensing issues and third-party payment issues.
- Representing physician specialty organizations and advantageously using federal reimbursement policies and appeals.
- Representing dental practices, and developing and negotiating dental practice employment agreements.
A member of the firm’s Executive Committee, John is the recipient of a number of honors and awards. Ranked in Chambers USA in Band 1 for health law from 2009-2018, John consistently earns special recognition for his work with physicians in transactional and regulatory matters. The ranking company quotes market sources noting that John Fanburg is “excellent” with “great knowledge and experience.” In 2012, John was described in Chambers as “an extremely gifted attorney particularly in dealing with all of the complexities of the current healthcare situation.”
John has been selected by his peers to The Best Lawyers in America© since 1995 and named to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list for several years in a row. In addition, he has been rated as AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0, peer-rated for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
In 2018, NJBIZ named John a Leader in Law as part of its Vanguard Series. In 2017, John was appointed to New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy’s Transition Team, serving as a member of the healthcare transition subcommittee. He was also designated a top healthcare transaction lawyer of 2017 by The Ambulatory M&A Advisor.
In 2015, John was recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and, in 2013, he was named a “Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care” by ALM and Martindale-Hubbell. John was also named the “Newark Area Best Lawyers Health Care Lawyer of the Year” for 2011 and 2012 and, in 2010 and 2011, John was a finalist for NJBIZ magazine’s “Executive of the Year.”
Professional Activities +
- Affiliate Member, New Jersey Medical Group Management Association
- Board of Trustees, Mountain Ridge Country Club Foundation
- Executive Leadership Team, Essex County Start! Heart Walk
- Healthcare Advisory Board Member, Caldwell University
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Florida Society of Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Member, Medical Group Management Association
- Member. Radiology Business Managers Association
- President, Mountain Ridge Country Club, West Caldwell, NJ, 2012-2016
- Treasurer and Board Member, S.O.L.A.R Foundation