Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Seton Hall University, School of Law, J.D.
- Rutgers University, B.A., with honors
For over 20 years, Carl Soranno has focused his legal practice on counseling and representing a wide range of clients with complex litigation matters. Carl has litigated nearly a thousand large and small actions, including disputes related to commercial transactions, contracts-debtor/creditor, commercial lending/workouts, foreclosure, bankruptcy, trademark infringement, consumer fraud, employment, shareholder claims, restrictive covenant claims and tort-related actions. He also has a wealth of family law experience gained throughout his career.
Carl is the Chair of the firm's Family Law practice. He represents high-net-worth individuals in contested and uncontested divorce actions, which include issues related to complex property division, valuation of closely held businesses and executive compensation packages, alimony support, and tax-related matters. His practice includes the successful litigation or dispute resolution of cases concerning custody, parenting time, relocation, and domestic violence cases. Whether the matter is large or small, Carl brings substantial experience to his clients' matrimonial matters.
Carl's skill set also includes the representation of physicians in connection with their matrimonial matters. As a result of Brach Eichler's leadership position within the health care industry, Mr. Soranno has had the opportunity to represent a number of physicians involved in matrimonial disputes and divorce. These matters are unique; wherein they present complex or difficult issues of privacy, celebrity status, licensing, limitation on public disclosure and an impact a divorce may have on a physician's medical practice, surgical center interests, and/or the valuation and distribution of those interests. Mr. Soranno can also advise clients in connection with protecting those business interests through careful planning prior to the marriage in the event of a divorce later.
Carl is also an effective negotiator, with experience in all forums of alternative dispute resolution including actions before the National Association of Securities Dealers, American Arbitration Association, and other associations, including the collaborative divorce process. In addition to handling trial and appellate-level cases on both the state and federal level, Carl has resolved numerous disputes through arbitration, mediation, early settlement and blue-ribbon panels, and has negotiated many settlement agreements, marital separation agreements, prenuptial, post-nuptial agreements and all matters of agreements involving commercial and business-related issues, including licensing agreements. As part of his family practice, Carl advises clients regarding pension and retirement plans, stock options and grants, trusts, limited partnerships, closely held corporations, valuation of business, and professional licenses.
"Carl is a smart, detailed attorney who represented my interest extremely well. I would, and have, referred him to my friends and business associates because he produced great results using creative ideas." - James Kaplan, Principal at KB Financial Partners
"I had the opportunity to work closely with Carl in a complicated workout of a troubled real estate asset. Carl was able to aggressively protect his clients interests while working with me to fashion solutions to his and my client's problems. His intelligence and flexibility helped save both our clients from needless and destructive litigation, while preserving value for everyone involved." -James Lawlor, Partner at Wollmuth Maher & Deutsch LLP
"Carl is one of the hardest workers that I have met. He is much like me in that he makes up for any weaknesses with his work ethic and determination to understand the legal issues, strategize and obtain the desired result for his client. He is a hustler in the truest sense." - Private Practice Attorney
"Carl is an outstanding lawyer, who has a deep understanding of the substantive issues of each case, combined with a practical sense of how best to resolve them." - Private Practice Attorney
For more peer testimonials visit Martindale Hubbell:
- Successful protection of trademark and service marks on behalf of a 37-year-old regional radiological group and home health care provider company from infringement by out-of-state competitors.
- Successful defense and prosecution of claims on behalf of physician/shareholders arising from post-employment restrictive covenants.
- Successful representation of individuals in matrimonial matters where complex issues of equitable distribution of property, alimony, and support were at issue. Cases include complex property division, valuation of closely held corporations and executive compensations plans, custody support, relocation and litigation to enforce marital contracts such as prenuptial, postnuptial and separation agreements, as well as marital settlement agreements and divorce judgments.
- Successful defense in a number of cases arising out of employment/workplace-related claims, such as claims brought under The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, The Americans with Disabilities Act, The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, The New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act, The Family Medical Leave Act and other related common law claims asserting breach of contract, wrongful discharge, harassment in the workplace and discrimination.
- Successful representation on behalf of a number of lenders from pursuing property foreclosure actions to protect the lender's rights in bankruptcy.
- Successful settlement of claims brought on behalf of injured clients arising from automobile accidents, pedestrian injuries and defective products.
- Successful defense of a shareholder oppression claim asserted by a withdrawing family shareholder of a 60-year-old closely held candy manufacturing company.
- Precedent-setting decisions in the federal Third Circuit establishing the jurisdictional boundaries of appeals arising from bankruptcy courts, creditors' rights of set off and the perfection of pre-petition security interests.
- Successful recovery of a percentage of royalties and interest in excess of $900,000 for a University of Pennsylvania medical professor/inventor against the university under its patent policy.
- Professional Insurance Management v. Ohio Casualty Group of Insurance Cos., 285 F.3rd. 268 (3rdCir.2002).
- The Ohio Casualty Group of Ins. Cos. v. Professional Insurance Management, 130 F.3rd 1122 (3rd.Cir.1997);
- Co-author, "Implications For Retirees of New Jersey's Amended Alimony Law," NJ Spotlight (August 10, 2016)
- Co-author, "Till Divorce Do Us Part: Judicially Compelled Joint Tax Returns," (June 11, 2015)
- The College Lottery for Divorced Parents, New Jersey Law Journal (January 21, 2015)
- New Jersey's Alimony Reform and Business Owners, NJBIZ (October 2, 2014)
- What You Need to Know About New Jersey's Alimony Amendment, NJ Spotlight (September 26, 2014)
- Co-author, "Introducing the NJ SAFE Act: An Important Tool for Family Practitioners," New Jersey Law Journal, June 5, 2014
- So Your Matrimonial Client Wants to Settle?, New Jersey Law Journal (June 18, 2012)
- New Breath For Malpractice Suits After Underlying Case is Settled, New Jersey Law Journal (April 2, 2012)
- Tannen - Recent New Jersey Case Upholds Protection of Trust, Matrimonial Strategist (February 1, 2012)
- Is Your Client Impacted By The Recession? Now May Be The Time To Seek A Modification Of Their Support Payments, New Jersey Law Journal (June 28, 2010)
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY INFORMATION
Carl has been referenced on complex commercial business and family matters and has been quoted in articles entitled "A Feud Builds in Frelinghuysen," published in The Star-Ledger; “Cracked Clam, Judge to Determine Fate of Historic Landmark,” The Hoboken Reporter; “Tenants Sound Off, Landlord Files Suit,” The New York Times; “Author of Accusatory E-Mails Can Stay Masked, Judge Rules in Libel Suit,” The New Jersey Law Journal; “Is Your Client Impacted by the Recession? Now May Be the Time to Seek a Modification of Their Support Payments,” The New Jersey Law Journal; and “New Breath For Malpractice Suits,” The New Jersey Law Journal. Carl is a Trustee of the Dombal-Vogel Foundation in Somerset County, which provides money through grants and other donations to address the needs of children in New Jersey, specifically the Somerset County area. Carl has been named legal counsel to the Former New Jersey State Troopers Association and to the Friends of Jaclyn Foundation. He has been peer review rated as AV Preeminent, the highest rating for professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell. He will be included in a special section in Fortune magazine on the 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Labor & Employment. He has been listed as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, and Family Law by New Jersey Law Journal in their New Jersey's Legal Leaders issue. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 Carl was recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers. In addition, Carl was recognized as a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM for 2015. In 2017, Carl was recognized by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel as among the Nation's Top One Percent.
Carl was recently interviewed on Q104.3 with Shelli Sonstein on what changes to expect in family law for 2017. Click here to listen to the full interview.
- Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court, Member
- Edge Therapeutics, Inc., Co-Founder, Corporate Secretary, Former Director
- Friends of Jaclyn Foundation, Counsel
- New Jersey Former Troopers Association, Counsel
- Dombal-Vogel Foundation, Trustee
- Sigma Pi Fraternity, Gamma Eta Chapter Rutgers College Alumni Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member