Allen J. Popowitz, Member
Chair, Real Estate
Allen Popowitz is a recognized leader in the real estate industry. Known for his business savvy and practical approach to each and every transaction, he focuses on what’s important in each deal and consistently achieves his clients’ goals. Allen advises his clients on all aspects of investment real estate and lending, including, but not limited to, sales, purchases, financing, leasing, and Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges. He represents commercial property owners and developers, banks, mezzanine lenders, shopping centers, and condominiums. Allen is also a member of Brach Eichler’s Executive Committee.
He and his team of attorneys and paralegals have handled some of the largest multifamily real estate deals in the tri-state area and beyond. Many of these are complex, multilayered transactions, located in various jurisdictions across the country.
For the past several years, Allen has been recognized for New Jersey real estate by noted ranking company Chambers USA. According to Chambers, Allen garners high praise from market sources, who describe him as “a deal-maker who can be counted on to make things happen” and “a smart and thorough lawyer with an excellent work ethic.”
Additionally, Allen was named by New Jersey Super Lawyers as a Rising Star from 2006 to 2009, and has been nominated by his peers to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list since 2010. He has also been named to The Best Lawyers in America© every year since 2013.
Allen is Chairman of the Board of the ALS Association’s Greater New York Chapter. In this role, he works closely with the organization’s staff and various celebrities to raise funds to support patient services, the ALS clinic, and for critical research toward a cure for this disease.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here for the Awards and Honors Methodology.
- $72 million acquisition by a client of a portfolio of 13 multifamily apartment complexes containing approximately 5,000 apartment units located across Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania
- $160 million loan transaction representing the borrower in the refinance of 15 properties located throughout New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania
- Represented a client in connection with a joint venture, valued at over $100 million, to redevelop a large Central NJ mall.
- Led a team of Brach Eichler attorneys, paralegals, and support staff in the $1.9 billion sale of a client’s entire residential apartment complex portfolio, which included more than 16,700 apartment units in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. It was the largest multifamily real estate transaction in New Jersey history.
- Represented client in the sale of 450 condo units for which we did a complex 1031 tax-deferred improvement exchange wherein client purchased 170 existing units and constructed an additional 63 units for a total purchase price of $50 million
- Led a team of Brach Eichler attorneys, paralegals, and support staff in the $298 million purchase of an office building in downtown Chicago. The deal included closing a $229 million first mortgage loan with an institutional lender and a mezzanine loan from a Wall Street lender. The client was using the property as replacement property in completing a Section 1031 tax-deferred exchange.
- Led a team of Brach Eichler attorneys and paralegals in a $260 million loan transaction involving a client’s portfolio of 27 properties in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland
- Represented a client in the sale of 294 buildings, through a series of a few transactions, valued at nearly $731 million. This transaction involved a great deal of work to complete a very complicated 1031 tax-deferral exchange for a few of the members in the selling entity
- $224 million loan transaction involving a client’s portfolio of 33 properties in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania
- $200 million mezzanine loan transaction on behalf of the borrower which involved a pledge of membership interests in various entities owning property throughout numerous states
- $69 million acquisition of the ownership interest in an entity owning a ground lessee’s interest in a commercial office park property in Palo Alto, California, which included reviewing the underlying ground lease and negotiating modifications with the ground lessor and reviewing and negotiating modifications of subleases with the sublessees
- Represented a client in the purchase of a REIT which in turn owns a 200-unit, multifamily apartment complex
- Chairman of the Board, ALS Association’s Greater New York Chapter
Six Brach Eichler Attorneys Included in “Ones to Watch” – Two New to the List!
Twelve Attorneys also Named to New Jersey Rising Stars List This Year
Real Estate NJ