Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Rutgers University, B.A., with honors
Carl J. Soranno, Member
Chair, Family Law Services
Carl Soranno came to the practice of law following a 10-year career in finance, securities, and investment banking. Carl has combined that experience with 26 years as a multidisciplinary commercial litigator which has shaped him into a formidable litigator and trial attorney, Carl has litigated well over 1,000 large and small actions, including disputes related to complex family matters, child custody, commercial transactions, contracts between debtors and creditors, commercial lending/workouts, foreclosure, bankruptcy, trademark infringement, consumer fraud, employment, shareholder claims, restrictive covenant claims, and tort-related actions.
As Chair of Brach Eichler’s Family Law Services Practice, Carl blends his deep knowledge of the legal issues affecting the family, along with his background in business and finance, together with Brach Eichler’s other leading attorneys in the areas of trust and estates, tax, real estate, corporate, and business planning to provide family clients with broad experience and representation. By combining these skills, Carl is well positioned to represent high-net-worth individuals in contested and uncontested divorce actions, which include issues related to complex property division, valuation of closely held businesses, executive compensation packages, alimony, and tax-related matters.
His practice includes the successful litigation or dispute resolution of cases concerning custody, parenting time, relocation, distribution of pension and retirement plans, stock options and compensation grants, trusts, limited partnerships, closely held corporate interests, and valuation of businesses. In matters large and small, Carl brings substantial experience to his clients’ matrimonial issues.
Additionally, Carl partners with our Healthcare Practice to represent a number of physicians involved in commercial matters, and, importantly, their matrimonial disputes and divorce. As a result, Carl is uniquely positioned to represent physicians in connection with their family matters. Each one typically presents complex or difficult issues of privacy, celebrity status, licensing, limitation on public disclosure, and practice protection. Often, there is much at stake considering the impact a divorce may have on a physician’s medical practice, surgical center interests, and/or the valuation and distribution of those interests. Carl also advises clients in connection with protecting assets, their premarital net worth, family and business interests through careful planning prior to the marriage in the event of a divorce later.
An effective negotiator, Carl has experience in all forums of alternative dispute resolution including actions before the National Association of Securities Dealers, American Arbitration Association, and other associations, including the collaborative divorce process. In addition to handling trial and appellate-level cases on both the state and federal level, Carl has resolved numerous disputes through arbitration, mediation, early settlement, and blue-ribbon panels, and has negotiated many commercial settlement agreements, marital separation agreements, prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements, and all matters of agreements involving commercial and business-related issues, including licensing agreements. Carl is also a certified mediator.
Rounding out his experience, Carl has served on public and non-profit boards and has advised boards in the operation of the business or their charitable efforts.
Carl is a Trustee of the Dombal-Vogel Foundation in Somerset County, which provides money through grants and other donations to address the needs of children in the Somerset County area. In addition, Carl was named legal counsel to the Former New Jersey State Troopers Association and to the Friends of Jaclyn Foundation. He has been peer-review-rated AV Preeminent, the highest rating for professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell. He was included in a special section in Fortune magazine on the 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Labor & Employment and was listed as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, and Family Law by New Jersey Law Journal in their New Jersey’s Legal Leaders issue in 2015. Carl was also named a Top Legal Leader for New York and New Jersey by ALM for 2015. In 2017, Carl was recognized by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel as among the Nation’s Top One Percent. From 2015 – 2019, Carl was named to New Jersey Super Lawyers.
Client and Peer Testimonials+
“Carl is a smart, detailed attorney who represented my interest extremely well. I would, and have, referred him to my friends and business associates because he produced great results using creative ideas.” – James Kaplan, Principal at KB Financial Partners
“I had the opportunity to work closely with Carl in a complicated workout of a troubled real estate asset. Carl was able to aggressively protect his clients’ interests while working with me to fashion solutions to his and my client’s problems. His intelligence and flexibility helped save both our clients from needless and destructive litigation, while preserving value for everyone involved.” -James Lawlor, Partner at Wollmuth Maher & Deutsch LLP
“Carl is one of the hardest workers that I have met. He is much like me in that he makes up for any weaknesses with his work ethic and determination to understand the legal issues, strategize and obtain the desired result for his client. He is a hustler in the truest sense.” – Private Practice Attorney
“Carl is an outstanding lawyer, who has a deep understanding of the substantive issues of each case, combined with a practical sense of how best to resolve them.” – Private Practice Attorney
- Successful protection of trademark and service marks on behalf of a 37-year-old regional radiological group and home healthcare provider company from infringement by out-of-state competitors
- Successful defense and prosecution of claims on behalf of physician/shareholders arising from post-employment restrictive covenants
- Successful representation of individuals in matrimonial matters where complex issues of equitable distribution of property, alimony, and support were at issue. Cases include complex property division, valuation of closely held corporations and executive compensations plans, custody support, relocation, and litigation to enforce marital contracts such as prenuptial, postnuptial, and separation agreements, as well as marital settlement agreements and divorce judgments.
- Successful defense in a number of cases arising out of employment/workplace-related claims, such as claims brought under The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, The Americans with Disabilities Act, The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, The New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act, The Family Medical Leave Act, and other related common law claims asserting breach of contract, wrongful discharge, harassment in the workplace, and discrimination
- Successful representation on behalf of a number of lenders from pursuing property foreclosure actions to protect the lender’s rights in bankruptcy
- Successful settlement of claims brought on behalf of injured clients arising from automobile accidents, pedestrian injuries, and defective products
- Successful defense of a shareholder oppression claim asserted by a withdrawing family shareholder of a 60-year-old closely held candy manufacturing company
- Precedent-setting decisions in the federal Third Circuit establishing the jurisdictional boundaries of appeals arising from bankruptcy courts, creditors’ rights of set off, and the perfection of pre-petition security interests
- Successful recovery of a percentage of royalties and interest in excess of $900,000 for a University of Pennsylvania medical professor/inventor against the university under its patent policy
- Professional Insurance Management v. Ohio Casualty Group of Insurance Cos., 285 F.3rd. 268 (3rdCir.2002). The Ohio Casualty Group of Ins. Cos. v. Professional Insurance Management, 130 F.3rd 1122 (3rd.Cir.1997);
- Co-Founder, Corporate Secretary, Former Director, Edge Therapeutics, Inc.
- Counsel, Friends of Jaclyn Foundation
- Counsel, New Jersey Former Troopers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association,
- Member, Sigma Pi Fraternity, Gamma Eta Chapter Rutgers College Alumni Association
- Trustee, Dombal-Vogel Foundation