Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University, School of Law, J.D.
- Loyola University Maryland, B.A.
Sean Alden Smith, Counsel
For more than 15 years, Sean has focused his practice on representing both corporations and individuals in their business and commercial litigations, personal matters, and complex high-net-worth matrimonial matters. A seasoned litigator, Sean has honed his extensive litigation skills to effectively represent clients in all aspects of their lives by custom-tailoring solutions to their complicated, and often sensitive, problems. Sean prides himself on the long-term relationships that he has developed and maintained with these clients.
As a result of Brach Eichler’s significant presence in the healthcare industry and business world, Sean often represents physicians and other closely held business owners (or their family members) in their business/regulatory disputes and family matters. Sean focuses his practice on healthcare regulatory and statutory disputes; multifamily property matters; and family services including estate and tax planning, prenuptial agreements, matrimonial/divorce matters, child custody/protection issues, grandparent visitation rights, kinship guardianships, and domestic violence.
Sean’s work has led him to be recognized within the legal community as a leader. In 2013, he was recognized for his development as a skilled litigator through his selection by The New Jersey Law Journal as a “New Leader of the Bar.” By 2015, he was recognized as a leader with the family bar when he was asked to co-chair the Essex County Bar Association Family Law Executive Committee, a position he still holds today. Sean often sits as an early settlement and blue ribbon panelist to assist the Court, attorneys, and litigants in the resolution of complex family law matters in New Jersey.
Prior to joining Brach Eichler, Sean served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sybil R. Moses, A.J.S.C. (ret.), New Jersey Superior Court.
- R. v. J.M., 2018 WL 2998751 (App.Div. 2018)
- King v. Hoboken Rent Leveling and Stabilization Board, 2016 WL 6502631 (App.Div. 2016)
- DeNardo v. City of Hoboken, 2015 WL 9947693 (App.Div. 2016)
- Timber Glen Phase III, LLC v. Twp. of Hamilton, 441 N.J. Super. 514 (App.Div. 2015)
- Tumpson v. Farina, 431 N.J.Super. 164, aff’d in part rev’d in part, 218 N.J. 450 (2014)
- Green v. Morgan Properties, 215 NJ 431 (2013)
- In re Contest of November 6, 2012 Election Results for City of Hoboken, Public Question No. 2, 2013 WL 4821095 (2013)
- Burns v. Hoboken Rent Leveling and Stabilization Board, 439 N.J.Super. 435 (App.Div. 2013)
- Mayer v. Mayer, 2013 WL 275961 (App.Div. 2013)
- Selective Ins. Co. of America v. Hudson East Pain Management Osteopathic Medicine and Physical Therapy, 416 N.J.Super. 215 (App.Div.); aff’d 210 N.J. 597 (2012)
- Gina Marie v. City of Hoboken, 2011 WL 4771935 (App.Div. 2011); Ryan v. Gina Maria, LLC,420 N.J.Super. 215 (App.Div. 2011)
- Bloomfield 206 Corp. v. City of Hoboken, 2011 WL 9820 (App.Div. 2010);
- Endo Surgi Center, P.C. v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., 2010 WL 4067156 (App.Div. 2010)
- Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., P.C. v. Garden State Surgical Center, L.L.C.,413 N.J.Super. 513 (App.Div. 2010)
- Allstate Ins. Co. v. Saddlebrook Surgicenter, 2008 WL 508350 (App.Div. 2008)
- Hodges v. Sasil Corporation, 189 N.J. 210 (2007)
- Salem Management Co. v. Twp. of Lopatcong, 387 N.J.Super. 573 (App.Div. 2006), cert. denied 188 N.J. 579 (2006)
- Endo SurgiCenter P.C. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 391 N.J.Super. 588 (App.Div. 2007)
- Moran v. QualCare, Inc., 2007 WL 470646 (App.Div. 2007)
In private sector matters, Sean’s recent successes include:
- Successful resolution of hundreds of family law disputes involving issues of spousal support, custody, and equitable distribution of personal property and business interests
- Successful resolution of several class action claims in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Middlesex County, against several multifamily property owners brought by current and former tenants alleging consumer fraud, breach of contract, and entitlement to punitive damages
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of several medical providers against a large managed care company
- Successful prosecution of a claim against a large insurance carrier for monies owed to an ambulatory surgical center. The decision ultimately was reached after a successful appeal in which the trial court was reversed and judgment was entered in favor of the center
- Successful appellate challenge to an insurance carrier’s attempts at obtaining information from medical providers. Resulted in a multi-million-dollar settlement of claims asserted by several medical providers against a large insurance carrier
- A favorable settlement wherein a testamentary trust was dissolved and the corpus distributed to the income beneficiary and the remaining beneficiaries, despite clear intent by the testator that the trust remain in place throughout the life of the income beneficiary
- On behalf of an Estate, successful prosecution establishing that an unsigned document was a writing intended to be the last will and testament of a decedent
- Co-Chair, 2015 – Present, Essex County Bar Association Family Law Executive Committee
- Early Settlement Panelist – Essex and Union Counties
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court, Member
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Westfield Lacrosse Club
- Member, Westfield Soccer Association
- Pro Bono Counsel to Domestic Violence Victims, Partners for Women and Justice
- YMCA Swimming – Level II Official