Brach Eichler’s nonprofit industry attorneys have the experience and knowledge to provide strategic advice for nonprofit organizations of all kinds, providing practical solutions to the most complex challenges in a cost-effective manner. With a rare combination of both legal and business expertise, our knowledge of the industry’s nature and business originates from our legal practice and from our passion for supporting and advocating for the nonprofits and the people behind them.
Our attorneys provide guidance on governance and complex transactional matters, handling investigations and litigation. We help our nonprofit clients avoid risks, protect their reputations and resolve issues efficiently. We offer nonprofit clients cost-effective service, personal attention, and quick turn-around.
Our interdisciplinary team of attorneys provides advice to tax-exempt organizations including charities, social welfare organizations as well as colleges, universities, research organizations, museums, environmental organizations, private and corporate foundations, and community development/lending organizations.
Our work on behalf of our clients spans the following areas:
- Avoiding and minimizing private foundation excise penalties
- Compliance with state laws governing exemptions from real property tax and sales and use tax
- Contracts for design and construction of new buildings and redevelopment of landmarked buildings
- Copyright and trademark registration
- Counseling on corporate and trust governance matters
- Forming tax-exempt entities and obtaining federal tax exemption and state compliance filings
- Grant-making policies and procedures, including grant agreements
- Leasing and acquisition of office and program space
- Licensing, infringement, and other intellectual property issues
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts
- Representing tax-exempt entities involved in federal tax audits
- Structure and execution of joint venture arrangements
- Unrelated business income tax (UBIT) and related issues